Sunday, 16 February 2014
Introducing Magpielly Solid Sock Club
Thursday, 6 February 2014
A while ago I was lucky to get some of the SpaceCadet's mini-skeins to sample although was unsure how to use them. They come in most vivid colour variegations in 20 gram skeins and as it turned out were perfectly suited for this pattern.
I originally was planning to make some stripy socks for but when a friend pointed out this Martina Behm pattern to me, I was taken by it instantaneously. It was designed to use up the leftovers and is ingenious in its construction: the shawl grows steadily as you knit letting you carry on until you're practically out of yarn, which I did. Can you see the narrow cream stripe on the end? I figured it could be left as a design feature and trimmed it with another contrast stripe and a leaf point on the opposite side.
The main yarn is Malabrigo Neutral, contrast are two different SpaceCadet mini skeins (I haven't got the dyelots for you unfortunately).
The pattern was so addictive, it kind of makes me want to cast on for another one!
Saturday, 25 January 2014
Saturday, 14 December 2013
|photo (c) Kat Goldin|
I really like how the little cabled twists are sitting atop of garter, almost popping off it. The pattern comes in three sizes, with each one of them requiring under 150 yards / 135 m of DK weight yarn.
Side by Side mitts
These mitts are knit in the round using a round DK weight singles yarn. The pattern features Stocking stitch, thumb gussets and a narrow cable running along the back of the hand that is trimmed with garter stitch on either side.
- Finished Measurements – 6 ½ (7 ¼, 8) in / 16.5 (18.5, 20.5) cm in circumference, not including thumb gusset. Designed to be worn with approximately ½ - ¾ in / 1.5-2 cm of negative ease.
- Skill Level – Intermediate – working in the round on double pointed needles, backward loop cast on (basic instructions included), picking up stitches, simple increases and finishing.
- Yarn – 1 skein of Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend (70% wool / 30% silk, 150 yards / 135 m / 50 g skein) #2246 Substitute with approximately 120 (130, 140) yards / 110 (120, 130) m of DK weight yarn which knits to the specified gauge. Yarn amounts might differ slightly depending on the yarn composition.
- Materials and Notions – Size 4 mm (US6) double pointed needles or size required to obtain correct gauge. Cable needle, stitch markers, waste yarn or a small stitch holder, tapestry needle.
- Gauge – 22 sts and 30 rnds = 4 in (10 cm) over Stocking stitch knit in the round. Adjust needle size if necessary to get the correct gauge.
Tuesday, 3 December 2013
|Photo courtesy of Cooperative Press|
To celebrate the book release we will be having a yarn giveaway, so that you can start working on those projects right away. Watch this space, as you can see, there'll be plenty to go around!
Aside from that, I absolutely adore the photo Elizabeth picked for the cover. We had some serious fun [except for them not actually being allowed to go in the mud] that day and it shines through the photos.
In the next few posts I am planning to give you a little insight into projects, stitch pattern and constructions highlights. If there is any particular pattern you'd like to hear about, here is your chance to let me know!